Wednesday, February 24, 2010


I read another deceptive article from "Spunky" today. They were quoting a small portion of an article that said not to give your child mercy as evidence that the Pearls are child abusing tyrants. Of course they don't put it into the intended context, which is that if you tell your child to do something that's IT, expect and require obedience without second warnings or whining. And of course they don't quote the DOZENS of articles that show the Pearls love and passion for children.
So all of us that love the Pearls are either abusive, miserable or stupid?
I don't agree with the ages applied in some articles in their first two books. I wouldn't let a 3 month old cry for me,if I can avoid it, or swat my six month old's hand but if you move that same advice up to 9 months or a year it can be perfectly good advice,if applied with wisdom.
I don't think that they can solve every problem for every parent but I have read all of the books about child training and the Helpmeet book and watched the videos and they are awesome. I can safely say that I agree with 80-90% of their advice and that's more than I have ever agreed with a typical pop psychology book on how to raise an all too typical brat.
I wish the naysayers could spend a week with a family of Pearl loving people! In my experience not only are they better behaved than most but they are energetic, happy, creative, helpful,secure and loving!
Gee, who would want that?