Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter Eve

I was recently asked what eggs and bunnies have to do with Jesus. The simple answer is nothing, directly. My answer is that he invented both of them.
When Easter rolls around each year we seem to come into a moral debate about what we should be doing or not doing. Should we color eggs? Should we call it Easter or "resurection day". I say that depends on you. Have you ignored the topic of Christ's death and resurection 364 days of the year? If so, then perphaps cute bunnies and candy will send the wrong message.
Personally, I feel that the resurrection should be a regular part of our life and conversation. Every time we talk about sin or salvation we are talking about the need for Christ's death. On Easter we are celebrating LIFE, the gift of God eternal. Rabbits and eggs traditionally represent new and abundant life so I find no difficulty in using that imagry to remind my children of God's gift to us. I would much rather use these natural and beautiful creations to remind my children of the beauty of life than to give them the impression that something as small as an egg can somehow diminish the awesomeness of God. Growing up, the egg was usually the object used to explain the trinity to children and new beleivers, again a wonderful tool.
On another note, the resurection didn't happen in April so it seems rather obvious that it's the day to day appreciation for salvation that really matters and not one "holy" day.



0 comments: