Saturday, March 19, 2011

Contemplating God In The Storm~



But as the One Who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all your conduct and manner of living. 1 Peter 1: 15

Definition of CONTEMPLATION
1a : concentration on spiritual things as a form of private devotion b : a state of mystical awareness of God's being
2: an act of considering with attention : study
3: the act of regarding steadily

Psa 46:10
Be still, and know that I [am] God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Be still: raphah
1) to sink, relax, sink down, let drop, be disheartened
a) (Qal)
1) to sink down
2) to sink, drop
3) to sink, relax, abate
4) to relax, withdraw
b) (Niphal) idle (participle)
c) (Piel) to let drop

After days of sickness, noise and Chaos my household is at rest. At this late hour my entire family is enjoying some much needed sleep while I enjoy sitting here with my coffee, listening to the thunder. I love a gentle Spring storm, especially when I have the time to enjoy it. In these peaceful moments I have been contemplating the sovereignty of God, my need for Him and the need for holiness in our daily life.
Too many proclaiming Christianity have joined with the voice of the world in mocking all standards of propriety and outward sanctification as unnecessary legalism.
I say this, while nothing I can do will earn my salvation or make me more deserving of Gods love, everything I do should reflect that I have been saved from sin and truly love my God. To love God is to hate the ways of the world. Our bodies are the temple of a holy God and yet we consistently try to separate our physical actions from holiness. Jesus took a human body to show us that what we do in our body absolutely does matter! While I have not even come close to attaining the holiness that I desire, I believe that Christianity is far more than a mental belief or spiritual occurrence.
We are to become complete and new beings; to be dead to our old self and alive IN Christ. To walk, both physically and spiritually, as HE showed us to walk.
We do not speak differently, dress differently, sing, play and love differently to earn Gods love, but rather because we love Him and He has given His all to bring us into a life of purity. How can we so easily dismiss His love and commands?"
“…If ye love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15)

“If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10)

“He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1 John 2:4)

I want to be perfectly clear here. I AM NOT writing this as one who believes I have achieved this goal! I write this as one convicted and saddened, both by my own spiritual lethargy and by the animosity that I so often receive if I speak openly about even the smallest standard of purity. While I know a great many "Christians" I know very few people that actually want to be anything 'like Christ. Jesus was constantly giving, weary, dirty, unpopular, nonconforming,bold, aggressive, humble,meek,strong,gentle....pure. Jesus avoided all the comforts of this world and shouted 'repent!'
I aim to walk on the narrow path and to seek Gods wisdom in living a life of 'separation' and yet being a humble light in a dark world. I have failed time and time again but I will not give up. Sometimes God uses the rebellious boldness of others to show you your own weaknesses and areas you have compromised.
I do not want to excuse a selfish, ungodly lifestyle. I especially don't want to twist Gods holy word to do so! We may all see different issues concerning holiness as more pressing than others but if we are IN Christ we will not oppose any strides towards a more perfect walk.

1 Cor. 8:13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

Even as [in His love] He chose us [actually picked us out for Himself as His own] in Christ before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy (consecrated and set apart for Him) and blameless in His sight, even above reproach, before Him in love. Ephesians 1: 4

That He might present the church to Himself in glorious splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such things [that she might be holy and faultless]. Ephesians 5: 27


The Law therefore is holy, and [each] commandment is holy and just and good. Romans 7: 12

0 comments: