Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tasty Meats

Hubby and I enjoy flavored lunch meats but not the 5-6.00 per pound that grocers charge. I decided to experiment with flavoring some on my own and it turned out very well. For about 1.50 per pound we now have Cajun and Honey Ham!
First, I bought one of the 5 lb. chunks of Farmland pre-cooked ham from Wal-Mart and had them slice it thin.




For the Honey ham I put a can of apple juice concentrate in a saucepan and added honey and a bit of brown sugar. Sorry, but I didn't measure this one. I would guess about 2-3 Tbsp. of honey and next time I'd leave out the brown sugar. I simmered it just to dissolve the honey and removed from heat. Put about 2 pounds of the sliced ham in a baking dish and cover with the apple juice mixture. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Remove meat from juices and place in a strainer for about 30 min. and WALLA! Sweet Honey-ham!


For the Cajun ham I did measure so here is my recipe:
Cajun Marinade for ham
1 CUP. water
1 Tbsp. Salad vinegar
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tsp-1 tbsp. Cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. Steak seasoning
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
2 Tsp onion powder
Dash cumin
Bring to boil and simmer for a minute. Pour over 2 pounds of sliced ham and let soak in refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Remove from juices and drain.

0 comments: